Warriors RPG
Hey.
Nope
Don't try scrolling away.
I follow you everywhere
MUHAHAHA
See? I only go away if you scroll up.
I know you just scrolled up. I LIED TO YOU!
I go away if you log in or join Very Happy
No!
WAIT!
DON'T GET RID OF ME!
I WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND!

Why do we have a CAPTA code/All about BOTS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do we have a CAPTA code/All about BOTS

Post  Stealth on Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

A CAPTA code is that annoying loopy letter thing when you register. We have that to prevent something called bots.

So, what are BOTS?

Bot's, short for "Robots"
A quick definition from Wikipedia, verified by numerous sites across the web.

Wikipedia wrote:
Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyses and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots.

What do these robot's do?
99% of Internet Bots usually just "reference" our site to increase their knowledge of it, and give the most accurate & up-to-date information about it.
In addition, when the Google Bot visit's our site, it also is giving me a "Cache" version of the site.

So what's the other, remaining 1% of these bot's?

Well, this 1% is an astonishingly large amount of bot's.
These very rare & very few bots can do what the other bot's cannot do.
They can:

•Register on our site

•Create NEW topic's on our site

•Reply to current topic's on our site

•Spam our forum

So, how exactly can Stealth tell who's a bot, and who's not a bot?

STEALTH CAN TELL BECAUSE STEALTH IS AWESOME. Just kidding Smile. Well, there's no rule of thumb to detect weather or not it is a bot unfortunately.
However they generally have a really "out there" names such as "123456789sdjhiuj" which can also be a spammer, the other way I could tell is it has a really stupid email address. If you notice one, I wouldn't mind knowing Smile My PM box is always open.

Can Stealth control these bot's?

No, as motionforum does not allow user's or Admins to access their database they cannot access the Bot's management.
However, if I wanted to I CAN disallow robot's visiting our site altogether. But, this will not happen, as it will decrease our "Google Page Reference" and possibly decrease the number of people visiting the forum.

So, what bot mean's what?

Google bot
The Google bot is the bot from our friend Google, he's just referencing our forum for their database.
He will visit the forum daily no matter what the activity is.

Yahoo! bot
The Yahoo! bot is the bot from Yahoo!.
He is also just referencing our forum, however we need a few members on your forum to persude him to view it Wink

Msn bot
This is the bot from Microsoft, msn, bing.com.
We have to have HUGE popularity for him to visit our forum. If he does, WE GONA HAVE A PAR-TEY! xD I'll figure out the reward later xD

And that's all folks!

Stealth
Admin

Respect : 6

Cat
Clan: None

View user profile http://warriorsrpg.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top